Tuesday 15 March 2011

Guest Blogging~my beautiful cousin Mary

I’m Mary, Ms Sarah’s cousin and I am honored that she has asked me to be a guest blogger for her new site! I am, by no means, as frequently in the kitchen as her, but I like to try my hand at some things for me and my friends. This recipe is a favorite for either a girly Sunday brunch or a dish for a holiday morning. It requires a long period of resting time, so not a last minute dish, but it is sooooo worth the effort! All of my adult friends enjoy this spin on French Toast, and I am sure our shorter counterparts will also enjoy!
Overnight Banana French Toast Regular recipe with my edits in ( )
Prep Time: 25 minutes Cook Time: 1 hour


1 16-oz loaf French or Challah bread, cubed and divided (I used French Baguette, next time whole wheat!)

1 8 oz pkg cream cheese, cut into pieces (I used Fat Free Cream Cheese)

2 Cups sliced banana (about 3 bananas)

6 large eggs (you can use egg beaters too, although I went with the Omega-3 eggs)
4 Cups milk (I used 2%)
½ Cup sugar (I used splenda. You can also use the 50/50 splenda if you want a bit more sugar)
¼ Cup butter melted (I used the smart balance)
¼ Cup Maple Syrup (I used reduced sugar)
½ tsp ground cinnamon

Arrange half of bread cubes in lightly greased 13x9 in pan
(I used butter-flavored spray).
Sprinkle evenly with cream cheese and bananas; top with remaining bread cubes.
Whisk together eggs, milk, sugar, butter and maple syrup; pour over mixture in pan, pressing bread cubes to absorb egg mixture. Cover and chill 8 hours.
Sprinkle with cinnamon and bake, covered, 350 F for 30 minutes.
Uncover and bake 30 minutes more or until lightly browned and set. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. You can use a bit more maple syrup around base of piece, but not necessary as it has plenty of moisture and flavor! Serves 10.

Per Serving – Taken from full recipe, not with my light mods.
585 calories, 21g fat, 11g saturated fat, 170mg cholesterol, 830 mg sodium, 490mg potassium, 82g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 19g protein, 0g omega 3.
*8 hour chill and 5 minute stand extra


I’m hoping I shaved at least 100 – 150 calories off the portion using my substitutes. I definitely recommend subbing something unless you’re one of those annoying people who don’t have to care about caloric intake, in which case I hate you.

No comments:

Post a Comment